Saturday, May 26, 2012

Tournament Report: War of Kings

Last week, I posted about themey rulers that would satisfy the requirements for our (then) upcoming War of Kings tournament. In that report, I also noted that there might not be that many actual qualifying rulers played because many of our players just don't read comic books. Turns out I was right, but a surprising number of theme fitting rulers did make appearances on teams. Below are images of the teams we had in play that night, followed by a short battle report from my perspective. Also, I'm not a photographer. Like everything else on this blog, that too will be an evolving skill.

Anyway, first up we have Hydra team 1, played by Jason -


This team revolves around Strucker and Red Skull...not sure who was the leader or who has the Infinity Gauntlet assigned.

Next up is Universal Church of Truth, played by Connor -


Magus is the holder of the Infinity Gauntlet on this team, as well as the Ruler.

Next up we have the Inhumans, played by Taj -


Black Bolt is the ruler, here. He also included Ronan from the Annihilators Fast Forces pack, who I missed the Inhumans keyword on.

Kevin went with the Illuminati -


Black Bolt was the ruler, but Dr. Strange has the Infinity Gauntlet.

Hydra team 2 was played by Kelly -


Not sure who was the ruler, Strucker or Skull, and not sure who had the Infinity Gauntlet.

Next we have the Gaurdians of the Galaxy, played by fellow judge and blogger, Allan -




Here, Groot is the ruler. We even got in a Supernova piece in Vance Astro.

The Atlantis team was piloted by Lew -

 Aquaman headed up the team on theme, but Hulkmariner was doing the heavy lifting! The Gamma Bomb was a nice touch, in a world of Infinity Gauntlets.

Finally, we have the Avengers, submitted by none other than the Sheriff -


Namor was the ruler. Basically, I wanted Steve Rogers to pick up the Nova Helmet. He did in one out of 3 games.

The field was pretty diverse, with the only overlap being from Hydra. Black Bolt and Ronan showed up, but no one from the Shi'ar side of the war.

I played -
Allan (bye) - Guardians of the Galaxy - Win
Kevin -  Illuminati (probably my favorite game, as it was Illuminati vs. Illuminati in that one, plus Steve picked up the Nova Helmet) - Win
Lew - Atlantis - Win

All three games I played were tough games. It took two turns of misses to finally knock out Allan's Drax. I couldn't get rid of Mr. Fantastic and Dr. Strange kept pooping out ghosts I had to KO, and I had to hold on against the Gamma Bomb in the final match against Atlantis. The end result was that I won the tournament, advanced to the center of the Supremacy League board and defended once (against Kevin...Lew couldn't challenge based on board position). The biggest thing, though from my perspective, is the Avengers won it all...them being my favorite team and all.

I wish I could have played some of the other teams, but there's only three rounds. For people who hate the Infinity Gauntlet, I have to say - "Why?" No one playing it ranked very high in the end. The top 2 teams (Avengers and Atlantis) didn't have it. It's annoying, but it doesn't run every tournament it shows up in.

Next up for tournament reports will be Infinity Gauntlet 6, for the Collector. In the meantime, keep those dice off of snake-eyes!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home