Friday, June 22, 2012

Thanos Imperative Tournament Report

This past Wednesday we had our biweekly tournament. This time, it was the "Thanos Imperative". Build a 900 point Golden Age force. This force must be a named keyword theme team. The force must consist of one nemesis of that team, at a point total of no less than 150 points. The nemesis gains the chosen keyword for this tournament.

This one had a lot of play possibilities, to say the least. And our players at Legends Games and Comics didn't disappoint.

SHIELD - Kelly



150 Baron Strucker
263 Quasar
76 Scorpion
75 The Covert Avenger
72 Captain America
70 Winter Soldier
67 Quake
50 Sharon Carter
50 Agent Colson

Total: 878

Commentary - Baron Strucker gets a lot of play at Legends. This team was pretty good. But what's not to like about Quasar and Smokey Feet Captain America? In our game, Agent Colson unfortunately didn't come into play too much, which could have been a real problem for my team, because I had only two guys on it that could even attack him! However, he stood by Cap and Perplexed / SHIELD teamed a lot, which isn't a bad plan on an outdoor SHIELD Helicarrier map.

Illuminati - Jason



124 Hulk (I guess Allan let it go)
202 Iron Man
196 Dr. Strange
123 Professor X
120 Namor
100 Mr. Fantastic
 20 Brilliant Tactician (Mr. Fantastic)
5 Gamma Bomb

Total: 900


Commentary - This one would get my vote for the most annoying if we had a vote for that sort of thing, but when you look at the teams, they all could be considered annoying. "The Worlds Worst Super Team" didn't exactly win many games, but to chew through them takes guts, tenacity and quite a bit of luck. In our personal game, I think what it mainly came down to was Dr. Strange getting Perplexed on values other than Range in key situations. Between hang back and Perplex Reed Richards, and shoot through guys Xavier, I really wasn't sure I was going to win for most of the game. Still, it was fun to play against. It was annoying, in a good way. I like the way Jason was thinking with this one, although Hulk technically was breaking the rules.

Avengers - The Sheriff



150 Thanos
150 Iron Man
150 Thor 
140 Hulk
100 Captain America
75 Hawkeye
35 Black Widow
30 Infinity Gauntlet (Soul, Time, Reality, Power) - Thanos
20 Brilliant Tactician (Iron Man)
16 Protected (Thanos, Cap)
12 Contingency Plan (Cap)
12 Automatic Regeneration (Thanos)

Total: 890

Commentary - Obviously, I love the Avengers. In the current storyline of "Avengers Assemble", the team (craftily marketed to be the "same" cast as the movie Avengers) are fighting Thanos. Also, there was no way I was going to let a tournament called "Thanos Imperative" have me NOT playing Thanos in some way or another. This team did well, but I didn't actually come out on top this time (losing my center place on the Supremacy League board to boot). I did consider going without Feats (and I didn't play BFCs) to get the Gravity Feed AVM Hulk on the team, and i might have done better to go that route, but I didn't. As it was, I lost to a team that in another tournament I did very well with, and always gets my vote for themey/competitive absurdity.

Gotham City - Lewis



194 The Joker
129 The Dark Knight
99 Commission Gordon
60 Harvey Dent
55 Alfred Pennyworth
49 GCPD Riot Officer
80 GCPD Officer A x2
40 GCPD Officer B
10 Outsmart (The Joker)
12 Ambidexterous (The Joker)
3 Alias (The Joker0
20 Swingline (The Dark Knight, The Joker)
5 Indigo Lantern
0 Black Lantern

Total: 900


Commentary - Last Week Wizkids released The Dark Knight Rises HeroClix. Lew decided he wanted to play something new, and hey look - a whole set of new DC guys to play. I must say, it looks cool (and because we've played a lot of these figures together piecemeal I know it plays well, too). Lew is always in line to win any event we run at Legends, and he might have been on track if not for a first round loss to:

Amazons - Kevin



272 Ares
248 Wonder Woman
84 Phillipus
150 Amazon x 3
38 Amazon of Bana-Migdhal x2
35 Infinity Gauntlet (Soul, Time, Space, Reality, Power) - Wonder Woman
25 Fortitude (Wonder Woman)
16 Protected (Ares, Wonder Woman)
32 Amazons ATA

Total: 900

Commentary - Amazons rule. Especially when Ares (DC 75th) is backing them up. This team swept the tournament, taking out Gotham City, The Avengers, and SHIELD and putting Kevin back in the center of the Supremacy League. It's a great team for this event - I like it so much I gave Kevin personal kudos for coming up with it, and actually wish I thought of it myself. In our personal game, a bunch of failures to damage Ares beyond this "Everyone Must Fight" Special Power really cost me big time. And because I wasted so much time on Ares, Wonder Woman was able to survive quite a beating before time ran out and she popped her Protected on me. A great, in-your-face team. Congrats on the win, Kevin!

Avengers - Allan







0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home